Thursday, June 21, 2012

Microfiber Colors Give Life To Old Chair Seats

One of my readers recently expressed an interest in the colored cushions on some chairs I used in a photo from an old post, "Fun Places to Put Your Potted Plants," so I thought I'd share more about this seating arrangement.  Originally, the padded seats on the chairs were all black and worn, and they didn't go with my color scheme in my living room, so I reupholstered each one in different colors of the same type of fabric. The seats come right off, so I stretched the fabrics over the padded seat frames and stapled the fabrics as an artist would when stretching a canvas.  Here is a link I found on how to stretch a canvas:
Take note of how the stapling is done, since you have to jump around your frame a bit.  Consider your seat cushion a "padded canvas" so your material isn't going to lay flat like a painted canvas would, so you don't need to stretch the material so hard that you are effecting the shape of your padding.

 My fabric of choice was microfiber as I found that it was very easy to work with since it has a nice stretch to it that easily eliminates any wrinkles or folds.  Once the fabric was stretched and stapled, I trimmed back any excess material that was hanging down.  I was a little hesitant to use the red fabric, since there is absolutely no red in my living room, but I'm so glad I did!  I find that it makes a bold statement, leaving a classy finish to the room.  


Below is the original image from my blog, "Fun Places to Put Your Potted Plants."


No comments:

Post a Comment